Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cost of Being Poor

    Thanks for sharing this article  it was interesting read because I never looked at poverty costing more money versus those who live above the poverty line.  Oftentimes, I have seen so many men and women standing near sidewalks definitely close to traffic lights especially when they’re in the “Stop” mode. These hand held signs with all capital letters usually read something like this: WILL WORK FOR FOOD, JUST GOT LAID OFF WORK CAN YOU SPARE A FEW COINS, and I NEED WORK AND HAVE CHILDREN CAN YOU HELP ME. Needless to say this is depressing and I’ve sometimes thought to myself, “ why can’t they find a job”,  “Have they tried looking”, “Do they have any educational background”,  or “What if they aren’t really poor but are just looking for a hand out to use money in a negative vs. a positive way.”  Well, one day I was out running errands as usual, and I decided to stop at a local store to pick up a snack…a box of yummy delicious strawberry pop tarts should hit the spot. 
    There was a lady who I’ll call Nervena, standing near the door with a buggy and a child sitting in it who appeared to be around 2 years of age and before I could get in the door good she said,” Please lady can you give me some money for my child.”  My response was, “well I need to get something” she said, “Okay lady” and I proceeded inside the store.  Needless to say after I made my purchase Nervena was still standing there so I thought, “Now what I’m going to say.”  However, as I was walking out she didn’t say anything so I felt relieved and proceeded to my vehicle.      Suddenly, this unusual feeling of sympathy for her child came across me…yep you guessed I went back up to her and handed her child a pack of pop tarts.  Nervena said, “Thank you lady, thank you.”  When I looked out my window another young lady handed her a Pepsi cola from her case of sodas.  My fingers couldn’t get the wrapper open fast enough for me to finally enjoy my delicious strawberry pop tarts as I thought Nervena’s child probably was enjoying them too.   Perhaps, some day America and the world will be free of all forms of poverty.

1 comment:

  1. Yes because that type of poverty you can see it, but the ones that are in your heart and soul, those are the worst to see and kill.

    ReplyDelete